Saturday, November 5, 2011

Meet Karin of Sunset Gems

1.  Please tell us your name and the name of your business.

Karin of Sunset Gems

2. What can shoppers expect to see at the Birds of a Feather Fair from your booth?

I make jewelry with semi-precious stones, crystals and sterling silver, pewter and copper

3.  Tell us some more about yourself.
I am a professional faux finisher (decorative painter) by trade and have been doing this for approximately 20 years. Always having had a love of all things nature, I decided to try my hand several years ago with making gemstones...some that I even mined myself!...into jewelry. It is a passion that actually started when I was a little girl and my dad brought home a box of beautiful polished gemstones from one of his many travels abroad. I've always been fascinated by natural beauty in colors of stones, sunsets, clouds, flowers, etc. If something I put together doesn't “flow”, I have to start over and it isn't complete until it looks like something I just couldn't live without! My greatest inspirations are people I have known and love, places I have been in my life and the animals that are some of my favorite little companions (yes, we have seven furry little kids!!). My husband, mother and step-father are my biggest supporters and usually one of them accompanies me to my shows and gemstone hunts. My sister, who sadly succumbed to a short battle with breast cancer in 1998, was also a huge support and inspiration to me and several of my pieces have been named after things that remind me of her! I hope that people enjoy wearing my pieces as much as I enjoy making them!!
Thanks Karin!  Check out more of Karin's work at:

No comments:

Post a Comment